ONE PARTY believes in the value of life and that every life has value. We believe the life of a baby in the womb has value and every right to life and for this reason, ONE PARTY are opposed to the decriminalization of abortion. Abortion involves the choices of one or more people resulting in the death of another, which is the unborn person. “This is not a health issue; it is a choice”. ONE Party.
- Seek to amend the law to protect unborn children from conception. Currently there are over 13,000 abortions per year in New Zealand and in the last 10 years, 162,483 abortions were performed, 239 of these were from the result of sexual abuse. This is representative of the worst form of child abuse.
- Seek the rights of the unborn child to be defined in New Zealand law irrespective if this child has a disability or not. People with limitations have a right to life just like every other person.
- Second opinions must be mandatory for the possible termination of a pregnancy due to serious health concerns. If a doctor or specialist believes that a pregnancy is too risky to be continued, (in the cases of serious danger to the life of the woman or girl or physical and/or mental health of the woman or girl) we humbly suggest another doctor or specialist who has experience with high- risk pregnancies is sought who will have full regard for the rights of the unborn child.
- Oppose embryonic stem cell research but supports adult stem cell research.
- That the morning after pill can be used safely in the case of rape, incest and sexual abuse to prevent a pregnancy up to 20 hours after.
- We promote open adoption. There are many loving New Zealanders who are desperate for the opportunity to adopt. We want to see better legislation around the area of adoption here in New Zealand. New Zealander’s should not have to go overseas to adopt a child.
- Will advocate a law change for parental notification if a minor seeks an abortion. The existing law overlooks parental notification. ONE PARTY recommend that the Abortion Supervisory Committee (A.S.C) reinstate the key recommendation made by the Justice and Electoral Select Committee in July 2016 which is currently ignored by the A.S.C. The A.S.C should, together with the DHB, confirm best practice guidelines for procedures, care and mandatory follow up for children under 16 who seek an abortion; especially for those who opt to inform a parent or caregiver.
- Recommend that detailed data collection around abortions in NZ be reinstated, as was the recommendation of the A.S.C in response to the Hillary’s Law Petition (2014). This data collection would stipulate, ‘Is the woman aged 16 years or over?’ Yes or No. ‘Has the woman’s parents or legal guardians been notified about the abortion?’ Yes or No.
- Oppose taxpayer funded abortions. If an abortion was to be recommended, it must be user pay.
- Recommend that a criminal investigation must be undertaken if an underage girl has become pregnant or infected with an S.T.D. It is logical to investigate the circumstances of these situations as sexual intercourse with an underage minor is against the law.
- Believe that coercion to seek an abortion needs to be addressed and that persons of influence in such cases would be liable and punished under the Crimes Act.
- ONE PARTY advocates the provision, support and resources for parents to be the primary educators of their child’s sex education. This education would be age appropriate and values based, investing resources equally so that abstinence is part of a comprehensive sex education.