ONE Party believes that drug use is a not a criminal issue but a health issue. History has shown that drug convictions does not reduce drug use. We support rehabilitation and reintegration and support initiatives that work on treatment rather than enforcement. People can overcome an addiction, but not a conviction.
The Misuse of Drugs Act 1975 sets out harsh criminal penalties for possession and use of drugs. It criminalises people who struggle with addiction instead of supporting them. This approach of imposing criminal penalties has had little impact to stop people taking drugs and has proven to be completely ineffective.
People who use drugs need compassion, support and access to education and a full range of evidence based treatment options. ONE Party support investing in prevention, harm reduction and treatment thus ensuring the focus always remains on improving health outcomes.
- ONE Party support that cannabis drug use be prohibited and does not carry criminal penalties.
- ONE Party support the increase of funding for resources into prevention, education, harm reduction, treatment programmes and Boot Camp Recovery centres.
- ONE Party support people who use drugs to have access to quality care in the health system.
- ONE Party support the repeal of the Misuse of Drugs Act in support of a new act that treats drug use as a health issue not a criminal issue.
- ONE Party support a ‘Strike Three Drug Rule’. Strike ONE, the drug user will be issued with a caution and given health information. Strike Two, the drug user is required to attend a recognised treatment programme as offered by reputable rehab and recovery centres. Breach of attendance will move to a Strike Three which is an instant 6 week mandatory ‘Boot Camp Recovery’ programme.
- ONE Party support that possession of a drug utensil should not carry a criminal penalty but a ‘Strike Three Fine Rule’. Strike ONE an instant fine of $1,000. Strike TWO an instant fine of $2,000. Strike Three an instant fine of $3,000. Any other strikes for possession of a drug utensil, the person will be required to attend a recognised treatment programme as offered by reputable rehab and recovery centres. Breach of attendance will move to a Strike Three Drug Rule and an instant 6 week mandatory ‘Boot Camp Recovery’.
- ONE Party support effective and comprehensive funding for a range of treatment options with proven outcomes including community and whanau-based services.
- ONE Party support the funding of Boot Camp Recovery centers.
- ONE Party support criminal charges for the selling of cannabis and all illicit drugs.
- ONE Party support the proven medicinal benefits of raw Cannabis and support free and easier access through a medical practitioner.
- ONE Party support the prohibition of all synthetic additives in all cannabis.
- ONE Party do not support regulated commercial supply.
- ONE Party do not support licensed cannabis outlets.