Aotearoa New Zealand is a very unique place and attracts people from all over the world. ONE Party recognize that Immigration is important with immigrants making up for around 25% of our workforce. We recognize highly skilled migrants can be beneficial for our economy.
- We support skilled migrants and would seek to reform the “study to work to residency” for foreign students so that only jobs that meet a genuine skill criteria are recognised for residency points.
- ONE Party believes the need to focus on skilled migrants, as this creates jobs and incomes for New Zealanders.
- Immigrants would need to sit a practical driving test to assess their driving skills to drive on New Zealand roads.
- Tests for Permanent Residents: Applicants for Permanent Residency must demonstrate an understanding of our Constitution and the status of the Treaty of Waitangi.
- Permanent residents will need to demonstrate a contribution of at least 5 years paid work in New Zealand (currently set at 2 years).
- ONE Party support to increase the qualifying period for NZ Superannuation from 10years to 20years. (the OECD average 25yrs).
- Exploitation of Migrant Workers. Any immigrant who is exploited and is found to have grounds will get an amnesty for a limited time of 3 months to find other work. Tough penalties for the employer would be enforced.
- Immigrants entering New Zealand cannot advocate or practice alternative law courts contrary to New Zealand law courts.
- Immigrants with criminal convictions less than 10yrs in any country, will not be able to enter the country or be given permanent residency
- Refugees and Migrants convicted on serious charges in New Zealand will be sent back to their country of origin.
- ONE Party support to cap the quota of refugees entering New Zealand to 350.
- ONE Party would advocate for a fairer and balanced look at refugee intake, based on numbers, nationality and geographical location.
- Refugees with serious criminal convictions including sexual convictions should not be approved entry into our country.